Thursday, October 30, 2008

walking

I walked around Siena the other day just to see it. The scenery was breathtaking and the colors warm shades of fall. Each street brought a new view of Italian life. Sheets and clothes hanging to dry, the delicious taste of lunch wafting through the air. It is amazing to me how connected you can feel to a place. I feel as though Siena is a part of me now. I never thought the winding, seemingly similar streets throughout the medieval town would make sense to me. But now as I journey to school every morning I see familiar faces, hear familiar sounds, and feel the familiar rhythm of the city. Each street is unique and offers its own personality. Over the last couple days I have begun to feel somewhat panicked that I am leaving this place I call home in less than 3 weeks. I anticipated coming here for so long and now it is almost over. My time here feels warped as I think of the people I love at home and how I long to see them and feel their warm embraces, but yet I also yearn to stay here and continue my life changing experience in Italy that seems like it has just begun. I know the contours of the sidewalks and the cracks in the cobblestones. The smooth music of the language fills my ears when I walk the streets.

1 comment:

lyn. said...

Very beautifully stated...

I'm sorry I have bee neglectful in keeping up with your reflections of the Italian experience, but we have just finished moving half of Wasatch into the Oakridge building next door - we call it Wasath Too now though instead of Oakridge. With the principal and custodian out of town, the major part of the move fell on my shoulders, but we pulled it off and eveyone is settled and happy...

Hope your last three weeks are everything you wish for...