Monday, October 6, 2008

conference the italian way

Sunday brought a wonderful morning of sleep followed by a fabulous feast at the church building. Autumn and I arrived to find a row of tables set up in the main hallway of the church and mixture of investigators, members, and other byu girls all awaiting the wonderful meal we were about to partake in together before settling in for a spiritual feast that would follow. The local members provided the lasagna (which I have to say was to die for…) and us girls all brought either salad or a dessert. The atmosphere in the church was warm and filled my soul with spiritual nourishment. The words that were spoken in the Saturday afternoon session and the Sunday morning session were all words that are applicable to my life. This October was a very different conference experience, usually I spend it at home bundled on the couch with a blanket and family surrounding or occasionally up at the conference center. Being in Siena at the Chapel is not something I ever would have envisioned in my life, but nevertheless I am so grateful for the opportunity. The members here get a kick out of us I think, one made the comment that "you are still eating?!" when she found us still gathered in the kitchen for over an hour snacking on leftovers from lunch between sessions. Nothing makes a conference experience better than a bunch of girls and snack food! The missionaries shared fun stories with us and we all enjoyed watching the film about Pres. Monson's life between sessions and it was fun to get to know him better. His words in the Sunday morning session were so wonderful and sweet--I just love him so much. It is so apparent that he is a Prophet and receives direct revelation from our Heavenly Father. Another exciting experience on sunday was that Kendis and Alyssa brought their host family to eat with us and watch the first session! It was so fun to have them there and such a great day to have them be introduced to our church. The dad, who is so nice and friendly and always remembers me and shakes my hand, seems genuinly interested and the missionaries are going to teach them the first discussion soon as a fhe activity with them. I hope that he is able to feel the spirit and realize the truthfulness of their words.

1 comment:

lyn. said...

That sounds like so much fun for all of the members to get together for good food, and watching Conference.

I can only imagine how good real Italian lasagna is! Be sure pick up some good recipes [not just for lasagna] to share when you get home...

You will have to plan a trip back to Italy for the temple dedication...