Thursday, October 30, 2008

Poggibonsi

Over this last weekend we had the opportunity to travel to a nearby city called Poggibonsi to go bowling with the missionaries, branch members-both active and inactive, and even a few investigators. The experience was a wonderful one. The bowling alley was actually very similar to the ones in the States which was nice to have some familiarity. Many of the Italians we were with had never been bowling and they all watched attentively as all the American girls went to see how it was done. There was a flurry of high-fives and other hand and facial expressions to express congratulations to each person that went, no matter how insignificant their success had been. For those two hours the language barrier seemed to be lifted as we all grew closer together unified by the spirit of excitement that filled the air. My face hurt from smiling so much. It was so fun to spend time with the members outside of church and get to know them better. The Spirit was present even in the busy setting of the bowling alley and helped us all to feel unified. I am sad that we only have two Sundays left with them and find it hard to believe how fast the time is going here. Being involved with a ward has never felt so natural or desirable. I look forward to every interaction I have with the faithful members here in Siena. I know that part of me will stay here with them and hopefully I have been able to give them even the tiniest bit of what they have given me.

1 comment:

lyn. said...

I am always amazed at how strong the bond of the Gospel is, no matter where we go in the world! Love is an amazing thing...