Monday, October 27, 2008

eurochocolate '08





Have you ever been to the chocolate capitol of the world? Cause I have. Perugia, Italy!! Let me tell you about it--
The morning began with a jump start when I glanced at the clock and read 10:27. What, 10:27? I jumped out of bed and frantically threw off my pajamas and put on the first pair of jeans I could reach. Why was I in such a hurry you may be wondering... Well my bus was to arrive at the top of my street, Porta Pispini, at 10:40. I proceeded to toss the essentials into my purse, twist my hair in a bun on the top of my head, not even taking the time to make it look cute with my bangs pulled back first or anything. I found a clean shirt in my drawer, grabbed my sweater in case it was cold and made a mad dash for the kitchen. The usual croissant, bread, jam, and juice was awaiting me at the table. I hurried and dumped some jam onto a slice of bread, tossed a croissant for later in my bag, and didn't even bother to clean up like I usually do. In fact, I noticed at last minute that I dripped a little bit of marmalade on the kitchen table cloth but I didn't have time to clean it up--don’t worry, the table cloth was gone when I went down for some water later that evening. Anyways, at this point I am so stressed that I would miss the bus that I grabbed my purse in my hand (to prevent any obstruction while running, leading to unnecessary slowing…) and sprinted up the massive hill. I thought I might die. I don't remember that hill ever being so long but the thought of not making it on that bus kept me going. I reached the bus stop with 3 whole minutes to spare. Record time right there. The rest of the day was a nice one spent in the beautiful city of Perugia, surrounded by massive amounts of chocolate. Lunch was a delicious pita sandwich with freshly grilled zucchini and ham. We were even lucky enough to split a side of fries with ketchup!! It was a great day to say the least. The first stop was at the Milka booth--we all got a purple cow-spot painted on our cheek and a cardboard headband complete with cow horns. Needless to say we were looking quite sexy all day long! We watched a game of chess played with huge knee-high chocolate chess pieces and we even rode on a carousel. The scenery was magnificent, the chocolate divine, and the bus ride there and back filled with philosophical discussion.

1 comment:

lyn. said...

Don't you just hate mornings when you wake up late and have to be somewhere? I sure do, and I have had more than my fair share of them in my life!

It's amazing how the thought of missing out on an all-day chocolate experience can get a person moving so fast... LOL