Wednesday, September 10, 2008

amore



I love Siena. I spent some time alone today in the Piazza on Via dei Pispini doing some sketching. I feel so blessed to be able to sit in a little square in Italy with just me and my thoughts. I get to take a step out of the monotony of my normal life and be placed in a situation where pretty much everything I do is a new experience. My brain feels like it is pushing against my skull trying to expand to a suitable size to fit all these new experiences and information--but it’s a good push. This is something that many people dream of experiencing, and here I am. I love walking through the streets and seeing the little shops filled with Italian leather, fresh fruit, bread, cheese, shoes, etc. They are all so amazing and the overall feeling here in the city is overwhelmingly wonderful. The cobblestone sidewalk gives your feet a constant balance check that corresponds with the surroundings on your brain. On the walk home you can see the beautiful Tuscan country side peaking through the trees. The weather is amazing at night when it cools down a bit and there is a slight breeze. I love the fall and love life in Siena. It is definitely an adjustment being away from home and away from the conveniences I am used to having at my fingertips. For example I take it for granted that I can pretty much connect to the internet whenever I want--here things work a little differently and things are much more difficult. Its good to be in a situation that helps me to realize just how lucky I am to live in a country like the U.S.

1 comment:

lyn. said...

Love the picture! You look so cute and happy...