Monday, September 26, 2011

The places your feet can take you.





Sometimes its fun being a full-time tourist for a while. Today was one of those amazing, "I live here!" kind of days. I sort of love my life. My little legs carried me all over the the city today. Here is a little adventure log:

1) Took the metro to the Smithsonian stop (about halfway through the "mall")
2) Walked towards the Washington Monument
3) Continued to the WWII Memorial
4) Stopped on a park bench to rest up and enjoy a Diet Coke
5) Walked along the river to get to the Thomas Jefferson memorial via:
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Monument (breathtaking.)
  • Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial (might be one of my absolute favorites)
  • George Mason Monument
6) Finally reached the Thomas Jefferson. It was incredible. I could see the white house, the capitol, the washington monument, MLK Jr., and Lincoln all from my little spot on the steps.
7) I decided to walk back sort of the way I came via Ohio Ave.
8) Korean War Memorial
9) Lincoln Memorial. This is my favorite. I got to listen to a park ranger spew off facts about it for 20 minutes. It was neat. He kind of talked in circles and was so anxious to move on to his next sentence he would often leave his current one dangling with hand motions in stead of words. Quite impressive.
10) I just love the Lincoln Memorial soooo much. I was a little tired from walking and the humidity so I snuggled into a column and read Jane Eyre for a while. It was a.m.a.z.i.n.g to say the least.
11) Then on my way to the metro I stopped by the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial.
12) Continued up 23rd street to the Foggy Bottom Metro Station and onto my little blue line train home.
13) Kendis texted me mid-trip, so I got off at Crystal City to meet up with some friends for 1/2 off burgers at a nearby pub. Kind of different, but I was starving so it tasted delicious!
14) After dinner, which I am sure they were shocked all 7 of us ordered water with our meal, Kendis and I walked to our lovely friend Shannon's house for a Redskins party. Great company, and delightful Korean popsicles.

Needless to say it was a great day in the District.

1 comment:

Palmer Family said...

Oh I love this blog post! You are so beautiful and brave! I would love to hear more about what is going on! Call me!

P.S. Mitch now has four teeth! And he is gnawing on his bed!!! It took me like three days to figure out where the weird marking were coming from! :)